Part of Sanford Maine’s Historic Millyard, Stenton Trust is an abandoned former textile manufacturing facility built in the 1920’s. The 13 River Street building overlooks Number One Pond and is a short walk to the center of downtown. In 2017, a large fire engulfed and badly damaged portions of the building, requiring the demolition of one of the towers and the central, saw-tooth middle portion of the structure.
The rehabilitation of Stenton Trust advances Sanford’s Brownfields Area Wide work by placing a vacant and derelict mill back into productive use. Located on the northern edge of the Sanford Mills Historic District, the existing West tower (not destroyed by the fire) occupies a prominent site overlooking Number One Pond and the Mousam River. A new circulation spine provides a continuous canopy that negotiates the change in grade between the lower level parking and the ground level. Long term opportunities reside in covering the parking area and adding new residential units on the grid of the former East Tower.